Reports To: Service Coordination Manager
Rate: $16.00/hour – 32 hours per week (may have additional hours)
Classification: Non-exempt union position
Good Samaritan is an innovative multi-service non-profit agency located in San Francisco’s Mission District. Its mission is to help immigrant families access needed services, develop self-sufficiency, and participate fully as members of the community. Our staff is a diverse and talented team willing to take different and unique approaches to help children, youth and families thrive and succeed.
This position is responsible for creating a welcoming, professional and friendly environment for all Good Samaritan visitors. Key responsibilities include: Inform families of Good Sam’s mission and services, conduct outreach and intake, and provide information and referrals. Assist community members with telephone, internet/cable bill issues, through the TEAM program, and PG&E, water bills, through the CHANGES program and educate and inform the community of changing immigration laws.
- Receive all visitors who enter the center, providing a positive and welcoming impression
- Ensure communication and interventions with visitors and participants are culturally relevant, acknowledge and value families’ strengths, and are responsive to the multiple aspects of the diversity of the families served
- Pre-screen to assess the needs of the family of those seeking services
- Make appropriate referrals to Good Samaritan services and other community resources, and facilitate successful access to those services (by phone and to incoming visitors)
- Work with staff to educate clients on the phone bill assistance program and changing immigration laws
- Investigate and resolve client complaints on their telephone, the internet, cable, PG&E and Water bills
- Professionally engage with customer services professionals to resolve client complaints
- Maintain client files, documents, billing invoices and education unit logs
- Work with other staff and service providers to ensure appropriate follow up on referred participants
- Explain Good Samaritan classes and programs to participants, other service providers, and visitors
- Assist participants in accurately completing registration forms
- Answer incoming calls and route callers or provide information as required
- Maintain and update program referral and services information
- Perform community outreach to identify and add new resources to our resource information guide
- Maintain appearance of reception area and a clean and organized work area
- Distribute Good Samaritan mail and handle incoming mail and deliveries
- Act as point person in charge of security and emergency procedures for the first floor
- Manage the access of visitors and monitor the safety of the building
- Provide administrative support to staff as needed
- Meet with Service Coordination Manager weekly, attend staff, team, and committee meetings as scheduled
- Responsible for the strict maintenance of client confidentiality
- Responsible for making suggestions to improve reception and safety operations
- Responsible for identifying problems and barriers and for recommending appropriate solutions
- Responsible for contributing to a productive, harmonious, and cooperative work environment
- Other duties as assigned by manager
- High School Diploma or equivalent, AA degree or a minimum of 2 years relevant work experience preferred
- Bilingual Spanish/English required (in reading, writing, and speaking), bicultural preferred
- Experience working with Latino immigrant population and understanding of immigrant issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and public relation/customer services skills
- Ability and willingness to work an irregular schedule and to travel to off-site locations in the community as needed
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret a variety of policies, procedures, telephone contracts that clients present regarding their cell phone or cable bill complaints
- Excellent facilitation skills with groups and one-on-one
- Good negotiation skills (when talking to Customer Services Reps)
- Working understanding of advocacy and consumer rights
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Computer literacy (MS Word, The Internet, data entry)
- Punctual, self-motivated and flexible
- Detail oriented
- Excellent writing skills including spelling and grammar (English and Spanish)
- Collaborative, team-oriented work style and ability to work effectively with diverse staff
- Strong understanding of confidentiality and professional boundaries
- Child and youth friendly
- Share Good Sam’s values (Innovation, Participation, Integrity, Trust, Respect, and Corazón)
- Knowledge of Mission District and citywide resources
- Previous experience in or understanding of the family resource center and/or family strengthening models
- Training or experience in the areas or early childhood and/or youth development
- Experience with the practice of conflict management and de-escalation methods
• Frequently required to sit, walk, stand, bend, stoop or crouch, kneel, and lift.
• Frequently required to reach with hands and arms, pull or push, or carry.
• Continuously required to see, talk and hear.
• Occasionally required to lift less than 25 pounds.
• Finger dexterity required.
• Hand coordination required.
Submit your information below.
Good Samaritan Family Resource Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer
1294 Potrero Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94110
P (415) 401-4253
F (415) 824-9527
No applicant will be denied employment solely on the grounds of conviction of a criminal offense. The nature of the offense, the date of the offense, the surrounding circumstances and the relevance of the offense to the position(s) applied for may, however, be considered.